Pages

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Pickled Vegetables

Recently I made homemade quick pickles and they were such a hit that I decided to make some quick pickled vegetables and see how they turned out. I mean who doesn't love fresh, crisp, pickled vegetables?

New to the whole pickling of vegetables I decided to just use the same recipe I used on my pickles with some little tweaks here and there.

I started off my chopping up my head of cauliflower and slicing some carrots, cucumbers and jalapeños. There were a few strips of onion in there, but I didn't care too much for them. 


Once everything was chopped and sliced I started layering my ingredients just like I did with the pickles. Then I poured on the brine, sealed the jars and placed in the fridge. Voila! There you have quick refrigerator pickles.

I would really like to figure out a way to be able to seal these so they have a shelf life instead of having to be refrigerated.

Next time though I will be using bigger jars, these pints are not big enough! 


Quick Refrigerator Pickles

1/2 tsp black peppercorns
a little more than a dash of red pepper flakes
1 tsp dill seed 
1 clove minced garlic
1 whole head of cauliflower, cut into bite size pieces
6 jalapeños, cut into slices
1 medium bag of carrots, peeled and sliced
1 medium white onion, cut into thick strips

Combine :
3 TBS kosher salt
2 TBS sugar 
1 1/4 cup of distilled white vinegar
2 cups of cold water

Add the dry ingredients to the bottom of the mason jar. Then add the chopped veggies to the jar, alternating layers. Be sure to pack them in tight, but not too tight. Pour the liquid mixture over the veggies. Seal the jars and place in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours. It is tempting to want to eat them before then, but I promise that the wait is worth it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment