Pages

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

family dinners

If you read my last post a faithful work then you know that I absolutly love reading my Journey devotional!


These words that I am giving you today are to be in your heart. Repeat them to your children.
(
Deuteronomy 6:6-7)


I thought today’s article was excellent! It was called Tech No Family. The lady talked about how everyone was plugged into some technological wonder or another. She would be preparing dinner while watching the Food Network in the kitchen, her husband would be on his phone replying to emails, and her kids were on Facebook or playing video games. She was troubled by this fact and prayed about it. She wanted to increase the amount of face to face time she spent with her family. So the declared dinner a tech free zone. Each person was tasked with a dinner responsibility, they prepared dinner together and they cleaned up after dinner together.

How awesome does that sound?

It made me think about my own family. I’m lucky if I can get everyone together for my own family to sit down and be quiet long enough to say grace. And when we do sit down to eat we are either watching TV or are interrupted by the phone, which never stops ringing.

Dinner Table

What ever happened to family dinners like they used to have on Leave it to Beaver. You know the home cooked meals, the clean and well groomed children, the doting husband and the perfect hair and makeup that is still in place even after slaving away in the kitchen all afternoon. And don’t forget the spotless house.

Let’s face it... although I can cook, my kids will never be that clean by the time dinner rolls around, my husband is rarely home in time to eat with the family, most days my hair stays in a ponytail and I wear not a speck of makeup and my house is never EVER going to be as clean as June Cleaver’s!

There is something to be said about a family that sits down as a whole and eats together. And even though my family meals may not be that perfect I can start making family dinner time a special time with no phones or TV. I mean come on, we do have DVR and voicemail :) Even if Mike isn’t going to be home in time for dinner, I can still sit down with the boys. I just use him being gone as an excuse.

Do you sit down and eat dinner as a family?

No comments:

Post a Comment