Pages

Monday, January 25, 2016

GET IN MY BELLY!

Yesterday at lunch as I was looking over the menu I found ceviche. It's like one of my fave foods! Beyond excited I went to order and the waitress told me that even though it was on the menu they had not been making it for quite some time. My first thought was to politely give her my second option and then wonder what the hell? If it is on the menu I am a firm believer that you need to get to makin it! That is toying with peoples emotions for crying out loud! 

So naturally I decided to make it myself. 

It has been years since I have made any form of ceviche but I remembered the basics. I really wish I had some sort of fish on hand, but I didn't so it was gonna be loaded with tons of shrimp! and the best thing about this recipe is that it is so light, refreshing AND it is healthy! I have been snacking on it all day. 

I will tell ya to be careful when it comes to the jalapeño and serrano peppers though. I don't know what they are normally like where all of y'all are from but around here sometimes you get them and they are like an odd shaped bell pepper. Absolutely no heat at all! Then there are the times that you get them and WHAM! It's so dang hot your teeth are on fire. 


1 to 1.5 lbs peeled and deveined shrimp
1 avocado
1 jalapeno
1 serrano pepper
1 cucumber, peeled
1 cup red onion
1/2 cup of lime juice
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 bunch of cilantro
Salt

Start by getting your water on the stove and put over medium-high heat. Have a medium size bowl next to the stove with some ice water ready for when you pull the shrimp out. 

Finely dice your jalapeño, serrano and red onion. Next dice your cucumber and avocado into small chunks. Chop up the cilantro really good and add everything to a large bowl. 

Next juice your lemons and limes. I used a citrus juicer to make sure that I got out every bit of juice I could. It took me about two of each. Add to the bowl.

Add your shrimp to your boiling water and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until pink. Immediately add to the ice water and let cool completely. 

Once the shrimp is cool, drain and cut to where you end up with 4 pieces of shrimp. 

Mix everything together and season with salt. Refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours to allow flavors to marinade together. 

Serve with tortilla chips or eat right out of the bowl! 

No comments:

Post a Comment