Pages

Thursday, July 12, 2012

packing for vacation

Yay! I am finally getting some of my vacation posts up, even if it is a week late :) And since I took way too many pictures, I am going to break it up into 3 posts for ya!

Every year over we plan one BIG vacation to go on over the summer.

This year our trip was to Sea World in San Antonio!

One of the things that I spend a lot of time doing before we leave is packing. Not only do I have to pack our luggage, but I have to pack snacks, important documents just in case of an emergency (yes, they have happened), and all the essentials we will need for a long car trip with two kids.

This year I started by making them a Snack Pack.

For the snack pack itself I used rectangle shaped Rubbermaid containers. For the snacks themselves I used:

  • kool-aid jammers
  • goldfish crackers
  • fruit by the foot
  • crackers and cheese
  • and a gallon size Ziploc bag for all the trash

You can customize the snack packs any way you like using snacks that your kids like :)

IMG_5228-002

This year a must have was our car bags!

I got the idea from I heart Organizing, but mine aren’t as fancy as hers.

I found some cheap bags from Hobby Lobby for $2.50 each and wrote their names on them with permanent marker. And boy were these things a sanity saver!

In the bags I put:

  • DSi or Mobi Go game system with games
  • a book
  • baby wipes to clean up messes
  • sunglasses in carry case
  • snack pack
  • batteries or car charger for game system

There are so many things you can put in these bags to make them special for your kids. Have fun with it and let them help you pick out a few things to put in there.

IMG_5233-002

IMG_5232-002

When I thought about packing this year, I was trying to think of the easiest way to do it. As I was browsing pinterest one day I came across a pic where a lady had actually put her kids clothes in Ziploc bags. She would separate the clothes by day: shirt, shorts/pants and underwear/socks into there own bags and then toss them in the suitcase.

it was a BRILLIANT idea and worked great until our vacation got extended at the last minute and we ran our of clean clothes. Oops! I just thought I planned for everything.

IMG_5235-002

Instead of having all the luggage spread out over the whole house, I just line everything up in the living room so I can add things as needed.

IMG_5240-002

 

I had just finished packing when my husband came walking in the door from work and he said ‘let’s leave tonight!’. Naturally being the spontaneous person I am said ‘sure lets go!’.

We left home about 8pm and drove the five hours to our hotel. And even though we were exhausted by the time we got there at 1am, we were so glad that we had a whole day to look forward to when we woke up.

IMG_5246-002

IMG_5247-002

IMG_5256-002

No comments:

Post a Comment