Pages

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Black Eyed Peas and Skillet Cornbread

For the past 3 days I have been battling a sinus infection, so tonight I wanted a dinner that was going to be fairly easy to make. I am trying to use the ingredients that I already have in my kitchen cupboards and freezer. We are really bad about not using what we have and I would like to change all that, so I decided to only grocery shop for what we absolutely needed (ex. diapers, milk, water, ect…). As I rummaged through the freezer looking for something to cook I came across some fresh frozen black eyed peas and some bacon. And boy did it sound good!

Black Eyed Peas

003

1.5 lbs of black eyed peas
1/2 lb bacon sliced
1 small to medium yellow onion roughly chopped
2 jalapenos, stems removed
salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste

Start by pouring the peas into a dutch oven and fill with water to about 2 inches above the peas. I then add the onion, bacon, salt, pepper, garlic powder and jalapenos. Stir together and cover. Let sit on medium heat for about an hour for flavors to develop.

Skillet Cornbread

016

Two bags Texas Style cornbread mix (yes, I cheated)
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 1/3 cup of milk
2 tbs. oil

Preheat oven to 450*. Mix wet and dry ingredients together until well blended. Pour the 2 tbs. oil into the skillet and place in the oven to heat up. Once the oil is just sizzling a little pour into cornbread mixture. Stir together and immediately pour into skillet. Place in oven for 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown.

032

And an added bonus while I was cooking we had this storm roll in. It brought spectacular lightning, lots of rain and winds around 65 mph. It was beautiful! It was like a hurricane in the middle of the desert :)

008

009

No comments:

Post a Comment