Pages

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Scallops with Asparagus Risotto

Tonight I wanted to try to cook something that I have never cooked before. I racked my brain silly about what to cook all morning long… finally I decided I wanted to make Scallops! Then I needed a side… Asparagus Risotto?! I was happy with my menu choices I just needed to research some recipes so I knew how to cook it properly yet put my own twist on things. Hope you enjoy :)

Asparagus Risotto

Risotto

1 cup Arborio rice
3 1/5 cups chicken stock
1/2 of a dry white wine
1 shallot chopped
1/2 lb. asparagus- cut into .5” to 1” pieces
3 tsp. butter
Salt and pepper to taste
Ice water

1. Bring 3 to 4 quarts water to a rolling boil. Place the asparagus pieces in the water for about 2 min. Remove the asparagus with a slotted spoon and place in ice water to retain it’s crisp green color.

Risotto1
2. Place 2 tsp. of butter in a non stick pan on medium heat. In a separate pan heat the 2.5 c of chicken stock until boiling. When the butter is melted place shallots in and cook until translucent.

3. Once the shallots are cooked place the Arborio rice in the pan and stir until completely coated, about 2 minutes. Then add the 1/2 cup of wine to the rice and let cook down until the rice has absorbed the wine.

4. Once the rice has absorbed the wine, move 1/2 cup of chicken stock to the rice and stir frequently to avoid sticking. Once the stock is absorbed, continue to add at 1/2 cup increments until the rice is tender, but not so tender it’s mushy.

5. Once the rice is done, add the remaining 1 tsp. butter and pepper to taste. Then add the asparagus.

Pan Seared Sea Scallops

RisottoScallops

1 lb Sea Scallops
Butter
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper

1. Start by making sure that your scallops are dry. That is very important! Salt and pepper.

2. Heat the butter and oil in a pan. Once the pan is lightly smoking place in the scallops, be sure not to let them touch. Let cook for 2 min. before turning.

3. Turn once and cook for another 1 min 30 sec.

Scallops1 RisottoScallops1
I paired mine with a Cabernet Blanc I got at Wal-Mart called:
Lucky Duck

Not too shabby for a $4 bottle of wine!

No comments:

Post a Comment