Pages

Friday, December 24, 2010

Pico de Gallo

PicodeGallo

One of my favorite things to eat is Pico de Gallo with fresh, warm tortilla chips! I love the way the tomatoes, jalapenos, cilantro and lime all blend together to make their own little special fiesta in my mouth! I even love to eat it with other things such as fish tacos, omelets, eggs, burritos… you name it, I can pretty much eat it on anything!

Pico1
My ingredients include: Roma tomatoes {about 4 to 5}, a few fresh jalapenos, a lime, one small onion, a handful of cilantro and salt. With the tomatoes I cut off the stem end so they are not accidentally chopped up and put into the bowl. My family used to seed the jalapenos to cut down on the heat, but I have noticed that leaving the seeds in does not make it unbearably hot. And don’t forget to give you veggies a quick rinse.

Pico2

Start by cutting the stem off the jalapenos. I cut mine in half and place the cut side down on the board so it is easier to cut into strips.  I then cut them across to make a nice dice. Continue that until all of your jalapenos are cut, then place in a bowl and set aside.

Pico3

I cut the tomatoes the same way I cut my jalapenos. I have found that this is the easiest way {for me} to get a good even dice going on everything. But you may have a method that works better for you, and that is perfectly ok.

Pico4

When all the tomatoes are diced, place them in the bowl with the jalapenos and give them a quick stir.

Pico6

{Wiping tears} I know this may sound crazy, but I place my onion in the fridge until just before I cut it so my eyes don’t water the whole time I am dicing.  After I cut the ends off and peel my onion I cut it in half. I then cut into the onion, being sure not to cut completely through. I then cut it like I did the tomatoes and jalapenos. This gives me a nice even dice.

Pico7

Once the onions are diced I place in the bowl with the other ingredients and give it a quick stir. Aren’t the colors so pretty together? And it is starting to smell yummy!

Pico8

All I do for the cilantro is give it a rough chop with my knife. This is one of the best parts! I love the way cilantro smells!

Pico9

After you have a really good rough chop on the cilantro add it to the bowl with everything . Give it a quick stir and then take a minute to close your eyes and smell the wonderful aromas escaping from the bowl! 

Pico10

Once you have taken in the wonderful smells, cut your lime in half and squeeze half of it into the bowl…

Pico11

Take a decent size pinch of salt and sprinkle over veggies. Now, be careful because you can add too much. Remember: You can always add more, but you can’t take away.

Pico12

Stir everything and just to make sure you have it seasoned right, take that chip and give it a taste. Mmmmmm! Perfect! Be sure to adjust the seasoning to your liking. Some people need more salt and some people need less, it all depends on your personal preferences.

Pico13

Instead of taking up space in the fridge with a bowl, I like to put mine in a mason jar. That way you can take out however much you like, put the lid back on and not have to worry about plastic wrap or any of that.

Pico14

No comments:

Post a Comment