Pages

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Spaghetti with Fresh Tomato & Basil Sauce

I always make spaghetti the way the boys like it. You know the kind. Either I crack open a jar and add a little zing to it or I make a really thick sauce with lots of meat.
Tonight was going to be different.
I bought some fresh noodles at the grocery store, so I wanted something light to compliment the delicate noodles.

I decided to make a fresh tomato sauce with garlic and basil. I had never made a fresh sauce so it was either going to be a huge success of a huge disaster.

I think it was a success. All three of my boys scarfed it down and wanted more :)

I started out with my main ingredients: organic grape tomatoes, fresh basil, extra virgin olive oil and garlic.
I also used salt, freshly ground black pepper and crushed red pepper.

Spaghetti1

I started by cutting the tomatoes in half.
I think the knife I used was a little big for the tiny tomatoes.

Spaghetti2

I then squeezed all the seeds out the the tomatoes so that they are now hollow, empty shells.

Spaghetti3

This was the fun part! I just went to town choppin’ away.

Spaghetti4

Once the tomatoes were chopped, I minced up a couple of cloves of garlic and added everything to my pan that had 2 tbs. EVOO drizzled into it.
Can you smell it yet?
You can at this point add the salt, pepper and red pepper if you like.

Spaghetti5

Chop up your basil and set aside.

Spaghetti6

There are several pictures missing here. I got caught up with my cookin’ and forgot to snap the photos. So let me fill you in:

Boil your water and add a splash of olive oil to prevent sticking. You only boil for about 45 seconds or so since they are fresh noodles.

Immediately drain your noodles and add to tomato sauce. Mix noodles with sauce until well coated.

Add about half of your basil and some freshly grated parmesan if you like. Stir.

Once plated sprinkle some fresh basil on top for garnish.

Spaghetti7

Doesn’t it look yummy?!

Spaghetti9


For the garlic bread:

In a bowl mix half a stick of real butter with about two teaspoons of minced garlic.
Spread over bread and broil on LO in the oven until toasted.

GarlicBread


The salad was my favorite part! I was not too sure how Michael was going to like it, but he loved it!

In a small bowl add 3 tbs. of red wine vinegar, 1 tbs. freshly minced shallot and 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard.

Salad1

Whisk together with 3 tbs. EVOO until everything is well incorporated.

Salad2

Put your salad into a bowl and drizzle the dressing over the leaves.
Mix gently to coat the leaves.
Add some freshly shaved parmesan and serve.

Salad3

I will ever use bottled salad dressing again!

Salad4

Happy Eating!

Spaghetti8

No comments:

Post a Comment