Pages

Monday, July 6, 2009

Chicken Soup and a Cold

Yesterday I started feeling bad and this morning I wake up feeling even worse. I hate days when you wake up sick but you still have so much to do but you just don't want to. It seems like it took me forever to get Jacob dressed and out the door for MDO this morning. I even went grocery shopping this morning! After all was said and done I decided to make this 'Cure-a-Cold Chicken Soup' that I found in the Rachel Ray mag. I changed the recipe up a little to make it easier on me. I have to say that it was really really yummy. I wouldn't say that it cured my cold, but it did make me feel better to eat. I know you can look up the recipe on her website, but I thought that I would share it with y'all as well.

Cure-a-Cold Chicken Soup
*Courtesy of Rachel Ray and changed a bit by me*


2 boneless skinless chicken breast
2 onions, 1 halved and 1 chopped
1 cloves garlic, crushed
1 bay leaf
(Instead of boiling my own chicken for the recipe I bought a rotisserie chicken and just pulled the breast meat out and shredded it. It was way easier and saved me about 30 minutes!)

2 tablespoons EVOO
3 carrots, chopped or thinly sliced
4 small ribs celery, thinly sliced
Salt and Pepper
4 cups of chicken broth
2 hand fulls wide egg noodles
4 scallions, thinly sliced at an angle
1/2 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
Grated peel of 1 lemon

1. (This is the step I skipped and bought the rotisserie chicken.) In a large saucepan, combine the chicken, halved onion, garlic and bay leaf and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer gently until the chicken is cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.

2. In a soup pot or dutch oven, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, celery and carrots; season with salt and pepper. Cover the pot and cook until the vegetables are softened, about 8 minutes.

3. Add the chicken broth to the pot and bring to a boil. Add about a cup of water and stir. Shred the chicken into pieces and add to the soup. Stir in the egg noodles and cook until al dente, about 5 minutes. Turn off heat and stir in the scallions, parsley and lemon peel. Season with salt and pepper.

4. After I put into a bowl, I added extra scallions for garnish and then added the juice of half a lemon to give it a little zest.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment